Monday, December 26, 2011

Bending the rules- Part 1

Super wash merino or a mix of super wash merino plus tencel roving WILL NOT FELT!!!! I found that out the hard way!! I spent almost a whole day laying out my design on this fab silk scarf and as soon as I poured soapy water on my "masterpiece", it turned into a slushy mess!! Seriously, I was almost in tears because I really thought this project would be one of my best!! Fortunately I was able to save the scarf for another project. Like I have said before, wool has a mind of it's own- you can only do so much with it but eventually it will have the last laugh. Once you figure out it's little quirks, though, you can play around with it and it will compromise. The greatest lessons I learn are from my mistakes!!
Super wash merino/tencel will felt as long as you combine it with merino or other natural roving!! My second attempt was opening the merino/tencel mix like I would do in a cobweb felt, and added merino on the ends. That started out about a meter long and when I was finished with the process, it ended up being a mile long!! Darn!!
Although it was an interesting piece ( and I have another brilliant idea!!) I didn't trash the whole thing. I incorporated it into another silk pashmina and this was the final result:



Hee! Hee! Lets play the "find the original felt" game!!!



SOOOOOOOO, in a nutshell, I need merino to work as my glue for super wash merino/ tencel roving My third time round I added merino all over the edges and this is what happened:




Now that I know how to "play" with it, I can't get enough of that slushy mess!!! I'm psyched! So many ideas, too little time..............









No comments:

Post a Comment